USY Program Coordinator (Part-Time SWUSY)
USY empowers exceptional Jewish teens to create exceptional Jewish experiences. For 72 years, USY has taught young Jews the values and skills they need to become exceptional leaders in their religious and secular communities. USY empowers youth to develop friendships, leadership skills, a sense of belonging to the Jewish People, and a commitment to inspired Jewish living through meaningful and fun experiences rooted in Conservative Judaism’s approach to learning, spiritual expression, and social responsibility. Through year round programming and domestic and international travel opportunities, USY inspires in teens a deep sense of pride in and love for their Jewish identity. To learn more, visit www.usy.org.
A key pillar of USY’s growth strategy is narrowing the focus of our staff to concentrate on a single metropolitan area with significant capacity for a vibrant community of Jewish teens and pre-teens.
The USY Program Coordinator (Part-Time) will be hired to both develop an engagement plan powered by USY to recruit teens to attend existing regional and international programs, while developing unique USY experiences for this region. The USY Program Coordinator (Part-Time) will work directly with the local congregations to build their teen engagement programs, while establishing the USY brand outside the walls of congregations to expand USY’s reach beyond the traditional USY chapter.
- SWUSY: SWUSY is the Southwestern region of USY and includes local chapters from Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana
Duties and Responsibilities
The position reports to the USY Director of Engagement with secondary supervision by the Interim Senior Director of Teen Engagement.
1. Grassroots Organizing and Leadership Development for USY: Using a community organized based-model, the USY Program Coordinator (Part-Time) will work on a daily basis to maximize touchpoints of Jewish engagement with Jewish teens and youth in grades 3-12. The focus will be on engaging middle school and high school students in your geographic area.
2. Teen Engagement Capacity Building With Conservative Synagogues: All Conservative synagogues have different teen engagement structures, and the USY Program Coordinator (Part-Time) will be responsible for developing an action plan for best serving each based on a needs assessment.
3. Community Relationships: The USY Program Coordinator (Part-Time) will represent USY within the greater Jewish community and build relationships and partnership opportunities with local professionals, Conservative congregations and other Jewish organizations.
4. Serve as Member of the USY Staff Team: The USY Program Coordinator (Part-Time) will be an official member of the USY Engagement Team, and will attend regular staff meetings with key staff and USYers, as well as staff in-person USY programs on a regional and international level.
5. Meet with Regional Executive Board (teen leaders) monthly
6. Plan all logistical and programmatic needs with the assistance of the USY Director of Business Operations and the Director of Engagement
7. Recruit Jewish teens to attend local, regional, and international USY programs
8. Be the main point of contact for programs and other initiatives to parents, teens, synagogues
The Teen Engagement Department allows team members the opportunity to develop passion projects that they believe will provide enhanced value for member congregations, and looks forward to helping this person find other opportunities to use their unique talents and skills.
Supervisory Responsibility: NA
Education and Experience
● Bachelor degree preferred or equivalent in education and work experience
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
● Significant knowledge of teenagers, teen engagement, and experiential Jewish education. While USY background and knowledge is a plus, it is not required.
● Experience in immersive Jewish education, whether as a camp counselor, youth group advisor, or Birthright staff member, Hillel engagement position, etc.
● Build relationships and partnership opportunities with local professionals, local Conservative congregations and other Jewish organizations
● Passion for Judaism, social action, Israel, and overall Jewish engagement
● Familiarity and comfort with the principles of Conservative Judaism
● Ability to design and implement weekend conventions
● Knowledge of mental health, safety, and well-being for teens
Work Environment: The USY Program Coordinator (Part-Time) must be based in one of the states serving each specific region. Even though this position is remote, it requires synagogue and school visits, and attending community and local programs as needed.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
● Part-Time position approximately 10-20 hours per week; hours will vary based on program needs
● Some evenings and weekends required, almost all of which are known far in advance
● Expected to staff up to three (3) full weekend teen conventions
- SWUSY: February through the end of May.
Semi-regular travel required, including weekend conventions
Pay will vary based on program needs and location
How to Apply
Please submit cover letter and resume to [email protected]