Sulam for Current Leaders
Do you want to launch a leadership program but wonder how to start?
Sulam for Current Leaders (SCL) is a leadership development program of the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism (USCJ) that supports purposeful, energized and sustainable kehillot (congregations). SCL offers a six-session curriculum that encourages kehilla leaders to develop a leadership vision for the future, assess their current situation, and develop plans to make their leadership vision a reality. Content articles on each topic provide in-depth background of the material covered in the sessions. USCJ staff from the Kehilla Strengthening and Transformation (KST) team can work with you to help your board explore these issues and to develop new leadership approaches and practices.
Equally important, SCL is part of a wide array of leadership programs under the Sulam umbrella, each of which provides new ideas, approaches and practices to reach a higher level of leadership, fulfillment and engagement. USCJ’s Kehilla Strengthening and Transformation (KST) team is committed to working with kehilla leaders to evaluate their readiness for participating in additional Sulam leadership programs.
SCL builds a leadership foundation on the following 5 pillars:
- Reflection - Self-assessment of current leadership situation and succession plans.
- Leadership Readings - Articles, webinars, bibliography, blogs, and other web-based resources on leadership concepts and practices.
- Experiential Learning - Workshops create an interactive experience where leaders learn leadership principles together. Sessions integrate biblical and rabbinic leadership texts and contemporary leadership exercises.
- Action Planning - Leadership learning leads to a desire to initiate experiments and to implement new practices. Participants move from reflection to action.
- Sulam Learning Network - Kehilla leaders become part of a larger network committed to improvement and change.
SCL has two communities, The SCL Learning Community and the SCL Action Community.
Learning: The Sulam for Current Leaders “Learning Community” is a program where kehillot can experience a taste of the Sulam curriculum. Leaders work with their KRMs and USCJ Transformation Specialists (TS) to develop a workshop (and follow up plans) from among the resources of the 6 sessions to meet their needs.
Action: The Sulam for Current Leaders “Action Community” is a cohort-based program to help kehillot (congregations) take the steps of developing a strategic leadership community and a more effective board. In addition to the resources available to our Learning Community, these leadership teams will receive in-person training, coaching and assistance from Transformation Specialists who will help them to collect and analyze data, then develop and implement a comprehensive leadership development plan over a 12-15 month period. The benefits of participating in this cohort will come from high level learning, following a timeline and a schedule for action, sharing insights and best practices, receiving peer feedback, and supporting each other through this exciting process. An application process is required.
A webinar is available to provide an overview of the SCL Action Community.
For more information on both the learning and action communities, please contact your Kehilla Relationship Manager or call the Kehilla Strengthening and Transformation (KST) department at 212-533-7800 x1130.